U.N. Chief Admits He Removed Saudi Arabia From Child-Killer List Due to Extortion

U.N. Chief Admits He Removed Saudi Arabia From Child-Killer List Due to Extortion
By Alex Emmons

U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon publicly acknowledged Thursday that he removed the Saudi Arabia-led coalition currently bombing Yemen from a blacklist of child killers —72 hours after it was published — due to a financial threat to de-fund United Nations programs.

The secretary general didn’t name the source of the threat, but news reports have indicated it came directly from the Saudi government.

The U.N.’s 2015 “Children and Armed Conflict” report originally listed the Saudi-led coalition in Yemen under “parties that kill or maim children,” and “parties that engage in attacks on schools and/or hospitals.” The report, which was based on the work of U.N. researchers in Yemen, attributed 60 percent of the 785 children killed and 1,168 injured to the bombing coalition.

After loud public objections from the Saudi government, Ban said on Monday that he was revising the report to “review jointly the cases and numbers cited in the text,” in order to “reflect the highest standards of accuracy possible.”

But on Thursday, he described his real motivation. “The report describes horrors no child should have to face,” Ban said at a press conference. “At the same time, I also had to consider the very real prospect that millions of other children would suffer grievously if, as was suggested to me, countries would de-fund many UN programs.  Children already at risk in Palestine, South Sudan, Syria, Yemen and so many other places would fall further into despair.”

Saudi Arabia is one of the U.N.’s largest donors in the Middle East, giving hundreds of millions of dollars a year to U.N. food programs in Syria and Iraq. In 2014, Saudi Arabia gave $500 million — the largest single humanitarian donation to the U.N. — to help Iraqis displaced by ISIS. Over the past three years, Saudi Arabia has also been become the third largest donor to the U.N.’s relief agency in Palestine, giving tens of millions of dollars to help rebuild Gaza and assist Palestinian refugees.

“It is unacceptable for member states to exert undue pressure,” the secretary general said. “Scrutiny is a natural and necessary part of the work of the United Nations.”

Ban call the decision “one of the most painful and difficult decisions I have had to make.”

Saudi Ambassador to the U.N. Abdullah al-Mouallimi, who held his own press conference afterwards, offered his own back-handed confirmation of what happened. “We didn’t use threats,” he said, “but such listing will obviously have an impact on our relations with the UN.”

“It is not in our style, it is not in our genes, it is not in our culture to use threats and intimidation,” he concluded.

Ban has invited a team from the Saudi-led coalition to New York conduct a “joint review” ahead of scheduled U.N. discussions on the report, scheduled for August.

On Monday, however, after the changes were announced, the Saudi ambassador to the U.N. declared that the changes were “final and unconditional” and that Saudi Arabia had been “vindicated.”

Related:

Sign up for The Intercept Newsletter here.

The post U.N. Chief Admits He Removed Saudi Arabia From Child-Killer List Due to Extortion appeared first on The Intercept.

June 9, 2016 at 06:36PM
via The Intercept http://ift.tt/1VOQuOf

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s